Welcome to the Burns Park World Language Initiative’s website (BPWLI, formerly BPFLI)!
What is BPWLI? We are a non-profit organization run by parents of Burns Park students who are working to fund language instruction at Burns Park Elementary School for grades K–2. We believe that learning a language is essential, and is best begun at the early stages of education. Research shows that the intended level of instruction not only allows for development of skills in the language but also improves English language arts achievement.
How does our program work with the AAPS district's World Language program that covers grades 3–5? Read more here!
|The Ann Arbor Public Schools provide Spanish language education to all students, district-wide, in grades 3, 4, and 5.||But Burns Park provides Spanish language instruction to students in kindergarten, first and second grades. This program is funded by parents and the community.|
How is that possible? It is possible because of YOU. (Yes, you!)
Since 2006, parents of kids at Burns Park Elementary have been donating, organizing and raising money to provide Spanish education to our youngest students. The school district does not contribute toward K-2 teaching at all.
Spanish education at Burns Park is not only fun
(ask any of the students how they like it, we dare you!),
it’s also important. And we need your help to make it happen.
- Studies show that kids who start learning a foreign language at an early age end up doing better in English language classes, too. They also find it easier to learn any foreign language later on.
- Students who are native Spanish speakers feel more connected to the school.
So do their parents.
- We feel proud of our school, our Spanish teacher, and ourselves when we realize we are providing our kids with this amazing experience, all of our own doing.
You are important. We need your help!
- Donate money: Our program cannot continue without your support. It costs an average of $75 per child to teach Spanish for the year. Compare that to the cost of Spanish classes for the year. If you have a child in the early elementary grades, try to donate $75. Better yet, if you can, donate more: “sponsor” a child whose parents cannot afford it. Contribute online today! >>
- Join our board or serve on a committee: The Burns Park World Language Initiative wants YOU. Our meetings are short and fun. You do not need any experience with being on a board, Spanish, or fundraising. You only need an interest in helping Burns Park be the best school it can be.
- Please use our convenient online contribution page to help support Spanish language instruction at Burns Park! If you have any questions or want more information, please feel free to contact any of us on the BPWLI board.